Adele Mary Younghusband
Adele Mary Younghusband was born near Te Awamutu and from 1913 was a member of the Auckland Society of Arts. In 1919 travelling from Christchurch with three children, she settled in Whangarei and set up a photography business.
From 1921 she was a member of the newly established Whangarei Art and Literary Society and between 1930 and 1934 she travelled first to Devonport then to Tauranga and finally to Hamilton. During this time she worked as a photographer and became a founding member of the Waikato Society of Arts.
In 1937 she exhibited in Sydney and studied under George Bell in Melbourne where she developed her interest in abstract and surrealist ideas.
As a painter she experimented with colour and design and she was one of the few New Zealand artists to portray a working situation. An exhibition of her work in 1941 attracted a record gathering for an artist at that time.
Adele Younghusband exhibited with the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts from 1929 to 1957 and her work is represented in the Waikato and Auckland Public Gallery collections as well as the Northland Council which not only has paintings, but also an extensive collection of her photography.