Maud Sherwood was born in Dunedin, although she moved to Wellington as a child and began her art studies at the Wellington Technical College with Mabel Hill and Mary Elizabeth Tripe. It seems Nairn had the most impact on her and in 1904 Sherwood took over his still life and sketching classes at the College where she stayed for nine years.
Exhibiting regularly with the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts from 1898 onwards, Sherwood had her first solo exhibition in 1910 and a year later went to study in Paris. She joined a sketching group and travelled around Europe using the local people as models.
Sherwood left Europe in 1913 settling in Sydney, and by 1914 she had begun exhibiting with the Society of Artists and had two paintings purchased by the New South Wales Art Gallery. In 1924 she was elected the only woman member of the Committee of the Watercolour Institute in Sydney.
In 1925 she visited New Zealand for 14 months before again travelling to Europe where she remained until 1933. She exhibited several times in Paris, Rome and London and on her return to Sydney exhibited watercolours and drawings, although in the 1940's her work expanded to include colour linocuts.
Maud Sherwood is represented in public collections throughout New Zealand and Australia.